Re: Navigator standard change proposal

On 2014-02-12 18:06, Predrag Stojadinovic wrote:
> - So, it is up to the standard to prevent the users from misusing it? As

Exactly. If a feature is going to be misused then of course it makes
sense to abandon/deprecate it.

> - My only “beef” is with the Navigator object standard errors. My other
> “beef” was with a Microfost employee coming into this discussion to
> promote his browsers agenda, instead of objectively addressing the
> issue. Either way, this is going off on a tangent…

Indeed. Employees of browser developers participating is a good thing,
and of course they are supposed to argue what's right for their
*product*. We want that feedback.

> And as above with [1], the [2] simply proves my point: UA sniffing is wrong.

It is. But sniffing the same thing from somewhere else is only
marginally better.

> And why did UA sniffing come about? Because the appName and appVersion
> were poorly defined and thus unusable.

No, because people either couldn't use feature detection or did not
understand it.

> So, the question is, should the Navigator object be properly defined to
> eliminate the need for UA sniffing or not?

No, it should not.

> But the feature detection issue is a Red herring here.
>
> The feature detection is not the issue, the issue is the Navigator
> object, it’s purpose and definition.
>
> The fact remains that many developers simply want to know the browser &
> version information and they should be allowed to know it, no matter how
> they want to use it, no matter what they want to use it for.
>
> This is not and should not be our concern here.

I note that there is disagreement about that.

> Poorly coded sites?
> You do realize that there are issues with browsers that are simply not
> detectable with feature detection?
>
> For example, the handling of the hash url redirect is one of them.

The right way to address these kinds of problems is to file bugs and get
the browsers fixed.

Best regards, Julian