Re: XML:ID extension spec proposal to HTML5 documents

Doug Schepers, Wed, 05 Feb 2014 14:26:05 -0500:
> Hi, Leif–
>
> xml:id was well-intentioned, but poorly designed. It tries to solve
> the problem in the wrong layer.
>
> Since you referenced SVG, I thought I'd chime in with some history I
> thought might help. We removed xml:id from SVG because it created
> identity conflicts, led to confusing authoring guidelines, and was
> generally disruptive to existing content formats like SVG and HTML. I
> researched this and wrote it up [1] for the SVG WG.

Thanks. I did in fact read that writeup of yours in the autumn. No
doubt did it give me valuable insights.

> If XInclude UAs or other parts of the XML toolchain want to recognize
> the ID-ness of HTML, SVG, or MathML, those tools should simply be
> updated to use the same building blocks of the Web Stack that other
> tools are shifting to. There are far fewer of those tools than there
> are authoring tools or authors. Don't ask the dog to be wagged by the
> long tail.

I think the correct way to put it would be to say that if xml tools
wants to support/recognize HTML5, then they should assign IDness the
way it is done in HTML5. (But it is perhaps more valuable to talk the
issue …)

> (In my opinion, XML should simply have defined @id to be of type ID
> from the beginning,

Another way to say that ID-ness should have been separated from XML
validity, from the start.

> or done so later instead of working on xm:id; the
> only major XML language that didn't conform to the @id-uniqueness
> best practice was Chemical Markup Language (CML), and they should
> simply have chosen a different attribute name.)

In principle the XML ID assignment mechanism is also an i18n feature
(as it allows to assign ID-ness to e.g. абвæøå="foo").  I wonder if
there are examples of XML languages that have made of use it that
aspect of it?

Leif Halvard Silli