Re: Form HTTP Extensions

I really *want* to see PUT, DELETE and (yes even) PATCH supported in the
HTML media type.

However, I see several problems with this particular approach:

1) creating "magic strings" for INPUT@name is not a good idea and runs
counter to the way HTML handles data arguments. if you want new inputs
types, then use the "type" attribute, don't create special-case values for
the "name" attribute.

2) I think trying to support basic-auth for this extension is not needed.
Why this and not other auth formats? again, using INPUT@name for this is a
problem. if you really want to do this either mint INPUT@type values or
create new attributes on the FORM element.

3) we already have FORM@enctype so I don't see the need for "payload"

4) we already use "enctype" to map to content headers so I don't see the
need for a "_header" construct. If there are headers you think should be
made available for FORM submits, create atrtibutes on the FORM tag.

I also am not clear that this proposal is "backward-compatibility" safe.
using unique attributes or type names would make it much easier to
isolate/ignore the extension. As it stands now, it's possible that these
new names will clash with existing implementations.

mamund
+1.859.757.1449
skype: mca.amundsen
http://amundsen.com/blog/