Re: 4.13.1 Bread crumb navigation - use of right angle brackets

On 18 September 2013 00:06, Jens O. Meiert <jens@meiert.com> wrote:

> > If you put links just in a <p> or (god forbid) <div>, then there's no
> > relation at all, it's just a non-sensical sentence consisting of words,
> > which (in my experience) makes no sense when a screen reader goes through
> > them.
>
> Well the way I see it is that there just is no appropriate markup for
> breadcrumbs. I actually like to hear Ian’s thoughts about <nav> here
> but other than that, <div id=breadcrumb> seems indeed acceptable to me
> (acceptable, not: great).
>
> There’s actually something nice about this too I find in that we’d
> keep it simple.

If you really, really must, then at the very least use a <p>, a <div> is
absolutely useless.
<nav> would be appropriate when it concerns internal links, though it might
be overkill for something small like this.

> (Again, just the way I see it. I deem lists out of the question but
> I’m otherwise quite open here as this is a recurring, important topic.
> It would be great to identify a standard solution in this forum.)

Why do you deem lists out of the question? I honestly don't understand that.
If you want to show a list of links, then in my mind only two elements are
implied order to them, but maybe your use-case doesn't need any order (I
doubt it though).

Even if you want to show a 'path' of links (e.g. how you came to this
particular page), then there's still an order to them, right? "You were
here at first, then here and lastly here."
To translate it to the most basic form humans can read, it would be a 1, 2,
3 kind of thing. I think you see where I'm going with this ;-)

Again I apologize if I come off rude, it's not my intention, I'm just very
passionate about front-end development and I'm putting in as much effort as
I can to try and find the most sensible solution to common issues.