Re: 4.13.1 Bread crumb navigation - use of right angle brackets

2013-09-17 15:45, Andrew Herrington wrote:
> I think an ol is the correct element for a breadcrumb navigation as it
> denotes a meaningful order:
>
> "The |ol
> <http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/grouping-content.html#the-ol-element>| element
> represents
> <http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/dom.html#represents> a
> list of items, where the items have been intentionally ordered, such
> that changing the order would change the meaning of the document."[1]

Such an argument has often been presented when advocating the use for
<ol> for something that is not a numbered list at all (which is the
traditional and prevailing real use and meaning of <ol>).

If the idea that anything that is an ordered list of items should (or
even must) be marked up as <ol> is applied logically, you should also
list (sequence) of letters and surely changing the order of letters
would change the meaning.

Similarly, a combination of words, like “used items” should then be
marked up as a list of words, shouldn’t it? And here we come rather
close to a breadcrumb. It has an order, the order in which items have
been written. It is as pointless and disturbing to use <ol> for it than
it would be to make a normal sentence an <ol>.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/