Re: The picture element: complexity

On 12.09.2013, at 18:07, Reinier Kaper <rp.kaper@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12 September 2013 11:52, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 17:45:13 +0200, Reinier Kaper <rp.kaper@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> And there's no way for a browser to detect *if* CSS will be parsed?
>
> Unless CSS has been disabled altogether, it has to assume that there will be CSS to be downloaded and parsed.
>
> Okay, so no issue here then, correct?
>

> So you'd end up with two scenarios:
> 1. No CSS will be parsed on this page, therefore load src[0];
> 2. CSS *will* be parsed on this page, therefore don't start downloading
> image resources yet;
>
> The delay in downloading the image is not acceptable.
>
> I'm confused by this. What exactly is unacceptable about this?
> I can only imagine that the "delay" you're talking about would be the delay between the server's response and the actual rendering of the CSS, which is dependent on the device and connection speed, right?
>
> So if a device is slow in rendering CSS (either a slow device or a poor connection) how would it benefit from downloading image sources in the mean-time?
>
> Also, is there any evidence that this is "unacceptable"? As in: use cases that show websites become unusable / inaccessible because image sources aren't being downloaded as fast as possible?
> Wouldn't the "cost" of a solution like this greatly outweigh any "solution" where HTML and CSS become tied-in again?
>
> Again I'm sorry if it's my limited knowledge or if this has been passed before, but it just doesn't seem logical to me that an image source should be downloaded as fast as possible without looking at any kind of context.

Hi, no worries about your knowledge. This is why we are here and we're all happy to help each other.
But in this case you need to trust me when I have to comply with Simon.

What you propose is against the nowadays implemented lookahead prefetcher which establish a http connection and the http request before anything else is interpreted.
This guarantees that images can be served quite quickly while in parallel CSS is parsed. You can't think of a browser only executing one task at a time. It's much more complex and the system it works today is basically why IE6 is so slow showing a website and Webkit for example is so fast doing that task. Just trust me when I'm saying we had several approaches and discussions about all this in RICG but came to the reasonable solution along with browser vendors that we can't do what you request.
Fortunately a inline media query is parseable due to a little trick some guy found when he created a Blink based picture supporting build which does work with all performance tricks a browser do.

-Anselm