Re: Making all elements and attributes that contain hyphens valid

On 16/10/13 12:07, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> So, in your opinion, should we change
> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/dom.html#embedding-custom-non-visible-data-with-the-data-*-attributes
> to only apply to private attributes,
>
> and add to
> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/infrastructure.html#extensibility
> the suggestion to use a custom prefix xxx-* for libraries?

Maybe I should read more context here, but that's exactly what data- is
already for. If you embed a library in your page, your page isn't
independent of that library and so the library doesn't count as
"software that is independent of the site that uses the attributes".
That clause is supposed to forbid using data-* for e.g. microformats
where one might write microformat-consuming software that is entirely
decoupled from the site the markup appears on.

Given this, I don't understand why you would want xxx-foo rather than
data-xxx-foo.