Re: Making all elements and attributes that contain hyphens valid

Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz>, 2013-10-03 12:40 +0200:

> On 3.10.2013 9:05, Michael[tm] Smith wrote:
> > The HTML spec defines the known element and attribute names recognized as
> > being standard names in the HTML language and that are "portable" in the
> > sense that among other things we know that UAs and other tools recognize
> > them as such. And additional specifications such as the existing ITS2 and
> > ARIA specs define other standard names for other specific purposes.
>
> OTOH, Web Components can attach behaviour to such elements and then
> elements become portable even if there is no additional specification
> like ARIA/ITS2 which defines behaviour of such elements.

But there's nothing in Robin's proposal or in practice that would limit Web
authors to only using hyphen-containing elements in the context of Web
components. So to the degree that the Web Components mechanism does
actually allow authors to create new portable elements, we'd not even have
any practical way of trying to ensure that authors were only creating
custom elements that have that kind of portability.

  --Mike