Re: HTML Ruby extensions

On 08/10/2013 11:39 , Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
>  From Plan 2014,
> http://dev.w3.org/html5/decision-policy/html5-2014-plan.html
> I get the idea that HTML 5.0 is to finalized without adding new
> features, to have finally something delivered as a REC, and enhancements
> will be considered when defining 5.1.

The current support for ruby has issues, many of which are documented in
the bugs I pointed at. This does little more than address the issues. As
a result of addressing them, some new things become possible (or at
least easier), but it's not so much a new feature as a fix.

> To me, Ruby looks like a rather specialized topic, which is essential in
> some contexts, irrelevant in most, and quite difficult to understand. So
> it very much sounds like something that could be defined in HTML 5.0
> just in a relatively simple form, as it currently is, and a separate
> extension should be defined.

The current version isn't simple and it's buggy. The new version does
not introduce substantial additional complexity and removes the bugs
(hopefully while not introducing too many new ones).

We've been promising to deliver interoperable ruby on the Web for 17
years and counting. Quite a few people need this. It's about time we did
it right.