Re: Making all elements and attributes that contain hyphens valid

On Thu, 03 Oct 2013 08:05:07 +0100, Michael[tm] Smith <mike@w3.org> wrote:

> Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org>, 2013-09-19 17:18 +0200:
>
>> I opened a bug about this[0] but I'd like it to see broader discussion.
>>
>> As per Web Components today[1], elements that contain a hyphen in their
>> names are clearly laid open for third-party extensibility (a few
>> exceptions are listed, grandfathered from MathML and SVG).
>>
>> I'd be more comfortable if HTML were the one to make that promise, and
>> also if it made it more explicitly. Furthermore, I think that the
>> logical conclusion from that is that where validators are concerned,
>> elements containing hyphens ought to always just be considered valid.
>
> I don't think that would be a good idea.

I'm with Mike, essentially for the reasons he outlined so far.

Opening a big hole in the spec means we lose a lot of ability to test if
things are correct. And except where conformance is rigourously enforced
(in the kingdom of the unicorns), tools are able to allow extensibility
anyway.

cheers