RE: TextTrackCue changes

Can you comment specifically on the rationale for moving the text attribute and getCueAsHTML off the abstract TextTrackCue object?  These at least serve a common need and are not format specific.  What is the reason for moving them?

Jerry

-----Original Message-----
From: Silvia Pfeiffer [mailto:silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, September 27, 2013 6:52 PM
To: Jerry Smith (WINDOWS)
Cc: Glenn Adams; public-html
Subject: Re: TextTrackCue changes

On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 11:41 AM, Jerry Smith (WINDOWS) <jdsmith@microsoft.com> wrote:
> I am going to confirm this.  My understanding is that we support GetCueAsHTML for both TTML and WebVTT caption files.  We do not support the WebVTT based semantics for script generated cues.

So there's your answer for why the previous spec was bad interface design.

I think you will find that with the abstract TextTrackCue interface, and with the new DataCue interface, it will be easier for you to support multiple caption formats and other text track kinds.

I'm sure Glenn will soon provide an adequate interface for TTML cues, but for that you'll have to watch the Timed Text Working Group.

HTH,
Silvia.