Re: Microdata

On 20.5.2013 11:13, Charles McCathie Nevile wrote:

> It has been mentioned that there will not be sufficient browser support
> to pass CR. We believe this argument to be flawed because browser
> support for microdata is irrelevant. Browsers are not to the primary
> target of microdata and were not relevant to the broad uptake it has
> already seen. Implementation and interoperability should be measured on
> usage such as schema.org, which has built up a significant set of
> resources, with processors implemented independently by multiple
> competing search providers and content produced by a significant
> proportion of Web Developers.

Hi Chaals,

I think that there two separate aspects of Microdata -- markup and API.
Markup is heavily used and promoted by many search engines and you are
right that it would be wrong to pretend that microdata are not used.

On the other hand quality of Microdata API was recently questioned by
some browser vendors. I asked about this recently on WHATWG list, but no
answer so far:

http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2013-May/039574.html

It would be interesting to hear from implementers here.

Ideal would be to put microdata into separate spec. But if there are no
resources for that we can at least remove API related parts of microdata
and keep in spec only bits that are actually used and can pass CR exit
criterias.

    Jirka