Re: [suggestion] Another field type for HTML form inputs

hi.

well, about that paragraph related to number formats that are already
supported by type "number"...
let's talk about what I faced here in Brazil(many other countries will have
the same situation):
- float number's format: 1234.56
- currency format: R$ 1.234,56

If I type "1.234,56" in a numeric input, it is not valid(triggers :invalid
styles in css and does not validate with the HTML form validate methods).

That's why inputs of type number, using float formats wouldn't be the best
solution.
Besides that, if I define the step attribute to "0.01", after typing that
value(the invalid one), if I click in any of the up or down arrows some
browsers render for the user to go step by step, it jumps to "0.01", once
the previous value was invalid...please, notice that js libraries apply
THAT mask into the input value, so, when the js lib tries to mask the value
as the user types, it gets invalid(or, in some browsers, is reset to
""...an empty value!). To use the js mask libs, we must use inputs of type
text! What is even worst!

Agreed! Currency symbols would represent a problem when persisting date
into a database, once it's impossible to "translate" an amount from one
currency to another...we might just ignore the symbols by now! :p

About css+html, I see this as thousand-separator existing for
input[type=currency] as list-style exists for lists, and :invalid for
invalid inputs in forms...but I may be seing it in a different way than W3C
intends to make HTML interact with CSS...

This way, programmers would also be able to ask the user what is the mask
the user wants to use, instead of just base the formats on what the OS
says...

I think it would be useful for me and, in a talk I gave around here, or
talking to other developers, I noticed that this is something most of
front-end programmers have faced!

I know programmers can use areas-x and role, microdata or RDF to "fix" it
to stay semantic, but wouldn't it be easier this way?

Regards.

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 7:51 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer
<silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]
> the
> > user focus it or not.
> > * When building a webapp, I had to apply these features via javascript
> > * Number fields do not accept characters like coma, so, to apply a mask
> > it(in brazilian format) I had to use an input of type text :(
>
> That's a browser implementation limitation. The spec already says:
>
> "A user agent might support numeric input in the user's local format,
> converting it to the format required for submission as described
> above. This might include handling grouping separators (as in
> "872,000,000,000") and various decimal separators (such as "3,99" vs
> "3.99") or using local digits (such as those in Arabic, Devanagari,
> Persian, and Thai)."
>
> > * I believe it would be semantically useful and could help increasing
> > usability and customization, besides avoiding some other libraries to be
> > loaded unnecessarily!
>
> Agreed.
>
> > * Screen readers could read such fields differently...let's say, instead
> of
> > reading "two thousand dot eleven" (a float value), it could read "two
> > thousand dollars and eleven cents" or something like this.
>
> Interesting. This is a semantic interpretation of the number. I would
> encourage the use of microdata or RDFa to include the information that
> this is a number of type currency. Accessibility tools could make use
> of such semantic markup.
>

> > What do you think? Maybe, just some changes could be added to the number
> > input to fit these features, so there wouldn't be needed another input
> type?
>
> Maybe... what are you thinking of?
>
> Cheers,
> Silvia.
>

> > Cheers.
> >

> > On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 6:46 AM, Silvia Pfeiffer <
> silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Felipe,
> >>
> >> The example under <input type=number> uses a currency example:
> >>

> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/single-page.html#number-state-(type=number)
> >>
> >> Is that not sufficient?
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Silvia.

> inputs.

> render
> countries

> is

> currency

> > --
> > Felipe N. Moura
> > Senior Web Developer
> >
> > Website:  http://felipenmoura.org
> > Twitter:    @felipenmoura
> > LinkedIn: http://goo.gl/qGmq
> >
> > Meet some of my projects:
> > BrazilJS Conference  |  BrazilJS Foundation  |  Power Polygon  |
>  TheWebMind
> > |  PHPDevBar
> > ---------------------------------
> > LinuxUser #508332
> > Changing  the  world  is the least I expect from  myself!

 Twitter:    @felipenmoura <http://twitter.com/felipenmoura>
LinkedIn: http://goo.gl/qGmq

Meet some of my projects:
BrazilJS Conference <http://braziljs.com.br/>  |  BrazilJS