Re: Use cases for <hgroup> ? [WAS] revisiting <hgroup> in HTML

Hi Leif:

And one could
> ask, if not the spec allows the above hgroup statement to be presented
> as follows, in a screen reader:
>    Heading: The reality dysfunction
> Subheading: Space is not the only void
> Which seems darn close to the effect of your own <subline> proposal,
> IMO.

no it does not the spec requires that browsers convey hgroup content as i
have previously indicated in accessibility APIs

"The rank <http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/sections.html#rank> of
an hgroup<http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/sections.html#the-hgroup-element>
element
is the rank of the highest-ranked
h1<http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/sections.html#the-h1,-h2,-h3,-h4,-h5,-and-h6-elements>
–h6<http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/sections.html#the-h1,-h2,-h3,-h4,-h5,-and-h6-elements>
element
descendant of the
hgroup<http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/sections.html#the-hgroup-element>
element,
if there are any such elements, or otherwise the same as for an
h1<http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/sections.html#the-h1,-h2,-h3,-h4,-h5,-and-h6-elements>element
(the highest rank)."

translates into accessibility mapping:

"hgroup element heading role, with the aria-level property set to the
element's outline depth"

The hgroup becomes the heading.

> So what are the use cases for <hgroup>?
>

> To allow a allow a heading to consist of multiple levels without a)
> *having* to resort to CSS and/or b) without *having* to say (e.g by
> using <p> instead of <h2>) that e.g. the subheading *isn’t* part of the
> heading.

but it doesn't do that it collapses heading semantics

regards
SteveF