RE: use cases for figure without figcaption?

Following up on my own post, this article provides technical web development advice:

http://sampsonblog.com/615/ie10s-pseudo-elements

It shows a <figure> in one example without a <figcaption>. While the example is demonstrating the use of pseudo-elements, it does so by using one to create a caption for a photo.

A reader may take it to mean that this is the way to create captions.

Adrian Roselli <Roselli@algonquinstudios.com> wrote:

> [...]

In short, I don't know.

I mentioned this because I have seen this somewhere in the wild, I just cannot for the life of me find where I saw it (I've been looking).

At the time I tried to understand why <figure> was chosen, couldn't, and filed it away in the place in my head where I store odd HTML element use.

Otherwise I agree with Léonie. I cannot fathom a reason to do this, but I assume that's my own lack of creativity.