Re: use cases for <label>

On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 1:44 AM, Smylers <Smylers@stripey.com> wrote:

> Andrew Fedoniouk writes:
>
> > On Sat, Jul 6, 2013 at 1:04 AM, Steve Faulkner
> > <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>wrote:
> >
> > > are there any uses cases for the <label> element[1] that does not
> > > label a control?
>

> > "label" is quite universal term and it make sense I think to keep it
> > in generic form.
>
> But it doesn't currently have generic behaviour; the only thing it
> causes user agents to do is associate a label with a form control.
>
> > We do not have currently any element that can be used as a
> > label/caption universally.
>
> True. But what would such an element do.

Check this:

"The aria-labelledby attribute is not used only for form
elements; it is also used to associate static text with widgets,
groups of elements, panes, regions that have a heading,
definitions, and more.
The Examples<https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Accessibility/ARIA/ARIA_Techniques/Using_the_aria-labelledby_attribute#Examples>
section
below provides more information
about how to use the attribute in these cases." [1]

and examples there.

These are some of cases where <label> can be used.
And I saw other cases where <label> was the best
choice semantically speaking.

[1]
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Accessibility/ARIA/ARIA_Techniques/Using_the_aria-labelledby_attribute

--