Re: Is the current definition of the article element in HTML useful?

Hi Steve,

On 23/01/2013 11:41 , Steve Faulkner wrote:
> I think the definition of the article element in HTML [1] is overly
> vague and broad, which leads to intended and unintended use that
> undermines its usefulness as a semantic construct for users that
> actually consume its semantics such as screen reader users.

I personally don't have a problem with its vagueness. Assigning overly
strict semantics to elements leads to DocBook, and if DocBook is what we
want then I would recommend DocBook. Vagueness does open the door to my
cherished repurposability. But obviously you need to strike a balance
lest all become a <div>.

Which is not to say that I want to reject outright your proposal to
reassess <article> advice (and I do lament the fact that it is likely
too late to rename it <infolump>) but it would be a lot easier to figure
out whether it's worth changing something if you made a more concrete
proposal as to what you think should change.

> For example, the spec promotes the use of article as a container of,
> well, an article and also for each instance of a comment on an article
> (example: [2]).
> Yet there is no defined method of exposing the semantic differences
> between an article in the common understanding of the term and when
> used as defined in the broader HTML definition.

It is true that offering to reuse <article> for comments perhaps
reflects a pre-YouTube Habermasian optimism in the public sphere's
competency. But I can't say I entirely dislike that.

Concerning exposing the semantic differences between the two, why not
handle that with RDFa/Microdata? See http://schema.org/Comment and
http://schema.org/Article? Or perhaps more appropriately for this
specific usage http://schema.org/BlogPosting and
http://schema.org/UserComments?