Re: Fwd: Proposal for output device selection

On 08/20/2013 07:32 PM, Janina Sajka wrote:
> I am writing to note that the HTML-A11Y TF identified output device
> selection as an a11y requirement at Sec. 4.8 of its "Media Accessibility
> User Requirements" document:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/media-accessibility-reqs/#requirements-on-the-parallel-use-of-alternate-content-on-potentially-------multiple-devices-in-parallel
>
> I would hasten to admit we did not articulate this requirement as
> clearly as we undoubtedly should before finalizing our document as a W3C
> Note. So, I would highlight two points:
>
> 1.) In addition to selecting a particular device for output of any associated content stream, we seek the
> ability to identify multiple devices as output targets for a particular
> content stream.

This is inherent in the WebRTC "MediaStream" model - one MediaStream can
be connected to multiple sinks (for instance <audio> or <video> tags),
which then can be assigned to multiple output devices.

> 2.) We would expect content in all devices to stay synchronized.
The WebRTC model indicates that a stream's tracks are always
synchronized. It seems logical to assume (but we haven't made this
explicit anywhere) that multiple sinks for the same stream would also
stay in sync.