Re: Proposal for the deprecation of <blockquote>

2013-08-19 13:58, Steve Faulkner wrote:
> AT such as JAWS Announces when the virtual cursor enters or exits a
> |blockquote| element. Navigate by and list instances of |blockquote|
> element in document.

That's interesting. What exactly does JAWS say? What do other AT
programs say? Do they say that by default, or does the user need to
switch to a specific mode or set some settings?

If it says something related to "block quotation", then it misleads
users most of the time, but presumably people who hear that often enough
will have tuned their understanding to know that "block quotation" does
not mean a quotation, in most cases.

> And JAWS also recognises and announces <footer>

I guess that would normally be OK and useful in most cases.

> so for the example code:

> another source.</p>
>     <footer>— <cite><a
> href="http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/grouping-content.html#the-blockquote-element">W3C
>
> The use of the footer element is an improvement to user experience as
> it identifies the citation as content information.

It depends on whether the user understands "footer" (or whatever JAWS is
saying) as meaning "credits" or "source".

make things much clearer.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/