Re: TextTrackCue discussions

On 08/08/2013 11:00 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> If we put getCueAsHTML() on TextTrackCue object, a JS developer would
> never be able to tell which formats will be parse-able by
> getCueAsHTML(), since that information would be hidden in the
> algorithm - and it could be multiple formats.
I'm arguing that the average JS developer doesn't need to know what the
original format was, or how that was converted to HTML, they just care
about the HTML representation.

For example:

  * If I wanted to present the cue in a custom way, I would get the HTML
    representation, then insert it into the DOM.
  * If I wanted to look at cues to see what their content is, I would
    get the HTML representation, get the text content out of that, then
    run it through my algorithm.
  * If I wanted to alter cues, I'd get the HTML representation, do my
    replacement to that, then insert it into the DOM (or possibly push
    it back into the text track).