Re: WHATWG patches applied to HTML 5.1 Nightly for week 32 (2013-08-12)

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 4:53 AM, Bob Lund <B.Lund@cablelabs.com> wrote:

> On 8/12/13 8:52 AM, "Silvia Pfeiffer" <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >* [giow] (1) Suggest suppressing events while a user is interacting
> >with a UA's native UI for <video>. (8134)
> >
> https://github.com/w3c/html/commit/0fe64b961371cd9763c20a84ec6e1174b565e7e
>
> I think this suggestion would limit valuable use cases. For example, a
> remote control page running on a separate device would need these events,
> even if the UA is providing UI on the main screen.

I think you're misunderstanding the change. This change simply makes sure
that the browser does not throw general user interaction events while the
user is interacting with the video, because the user interaction with the
video already has effects and raises events. This just avoids duplicate
event raising, where JavaScript would, for example, react to a click event
on the video, as well as a click event on the play button, thus doubly
executing a pause_play_toggle function. This also applies to your remote
control example, FAICT.

HTH,
Silvia.