Re: TextTrack API changes

From: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 11:25:32 +1000
To: "Jerry Smith (WINDOWS)" <jdsmith@microsoft.com>
Cc: Bob Lund <B.Lund@cablelabs.com>, Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>, public-html <public-html@w3.org>, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>, "Mark Vickers @ Comcast" <mark_vickers@cable.comcast.com>
On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 4:10 AM, Jerry Smith (WINDOWS) <
jdsmith@microsoft.com> wrote:

>  Silvia;****
>
> ** **
>
> Ive looked at the specs for TextTrackCue and WebVTTCue.  They are quite
> different.  Id like to confirm some aspects of this proposed change:****
>
> ** **
>
> **-          **It makes TextTrackCue an abstract interface, but preserves
> the existing TextTrackCue object for compatibility  correct?

Not so much for compatibility, but rather to provide a generic interface to
all format-specific TextTrackCue objects that implementers can rely on.

>  Does that suggest TextTrackCue is a base implementation and WebVTTCue a
> proposed variant?

Yes.

> ****
>
> **-          **How will the WebVTTCue affect implementation of the track
> element itself?  The details of it appear to require changes beyond the que
> object itself.  If it does, that does not seem a proper way to evolve a
> standardized element.

 I don't understand. There are no other changes FAIK. Can you explain what
you mean?

Thanks,
Silvia.