Re: TextTrack API changes

From: Bob Lund <B.Lund@CableLabs.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 18:35:03 +0000
To: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>, Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>, Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>
CC: public-html <public-html@w3.org>, "Jerry Smith, (WINDOWS)" <jdsmith@microsoft.com>, "Mark Vickers @ Comcast" <mark_vickers@cable.comcast.com>

On 4/25/13 11:57 AM, "Simon Pieters" <simonp@opera.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 17:10:10 +0200, Bob Lund <B.Lund@cablelabs.com> wrote:
>
>> There is getCueAsSource API in
>>
>>http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-html5-20110525/the-iframe-element.html#timed
>>-text-tracks;
>> my mistake on the exact method name.
>
>Please don't read /TR/, let alone a copy from 2011...

Well, in 2011 that was all that was there :). The implied point is that
we've been working on Text Track implementations since then. The
perception that WebVTT is the only thing being implemented is incorrect.

>> The TextTrackCue text attribute as defined here
>>
>>http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/CR-html5-20121217/embedded-content-0.html#text-
>>track-api
>> is fine.
>
>Again, /TR/ is obsolete.
>
>See
>http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/the-video-elem
>ent.html#texttrackcue
>http://dev.w3.org/html5/webvtt/#dfn-webvttcue
>
>> There is a definition for in-band MPEG-2 TS text tracks here
>> http://www.cablelabs.com/specifications/CL-SP-HTML5-MAP-I02-120510.pdf
>> that is normatively referenced by the DLNA HTML5 Remote UI spec. This
>> defines use of the TextTrackCue text and getCueAsHTML attributes.
>
>Thanks. This seems to make use of .text, but not so much of
>getCueAsHTML().

That is not correct.

> The only thing that can return a non-null value for the
>latter is 5.2 Closed Captioning,

Yes, this returns a non-null value. The comment had been made earlier that
getCueAsHTML is only needed by WebVTT. I am offering a case for MPEG-2 TS.