Re: TextTrack API changes

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 3:23 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer
<silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>wrote:

> Firstly note that there never was a getCueAsText() API. If mpeg2 requires
> one, then that would be specific to a Mpeg2Cue API and I recommend against
> adding it to TextTrackCue.

That was just a typo.

> I'm prepared to add the .text and getCueAsHTML() interfaces to
> TextTrackCue if there is a definition of another XXXCue interface that has
> these. For example SCCTrackCue could define these, assuming the track was a
> 708 track and converted to SCC.

Since these were already defined on TextTrackCue without explicit
definition of their use with another format, and the language explicitly
abstracted this fact, then it is not required to define any other mapping
in HTML5.

Please restore these two members as they were previously defined on
TextTrackCue.

> Until then, it is better to have these return undefined in new subclasses,
> which can only happen if they are not given on TextTrackCue.

This isn't true for getCueAsHTML() which could return 'undefined' in an
un-overridden base class. However, you are correct for text. Consequently,
I suggest changing to using null instead of undefined for both text and
getCueAsHTML() in the base TextTrackCue class absent an override.