Re: TextTrack API changes

From: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 23:43:32 +0200
To: "Silvia Pfeiffer" <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>, "Glenn Adams" <glenn@skynav.com>, "Bob Lund" <B.Lund@cablelabs.com>
Cc: "Jerry Smith (WINDOWS)" <jdsmith@microsoft.com>, "Mark Vickers @ Comcast" <mark_vickers@cable.comcast.com>, public-html <public-html@w3.org>
On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 18:25:22 +0200, Bob Lund <B.Lund@cablelabs.com> wrote:

> We've already implemented in-band captions for MPEG-2 TS where
> getCueAsHTML returns a valid doc fragment for Cues containing 708
> captions. We've also implemented a UA that exposes all other MPEG-2 TS
> text track data as Base64 encoded text via getCueAsText for text tracks
> not recognized by the UA. This is to provide Web applications with the
> opportunity to handle text track formats not supported by the UA. There
> is at least one 3rd party Web app developer that wants to make use of
> this feature.

Since the specification for .text and .getCueAsHTML() are defined in terms
of WebVTT, it would be useful with a proposed specification for these
features for MPEG-2 TS 708 captions and for unsupported tracks.

P.S. It would be helpful if you could use proper quoting in your emails.
Thanks.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software