Re: HTML5 should not 'strongly encourage' authors to use only H1 level headinsg

Hi Steve,

On 26/10/2012 10:46 , Steve Faulkner wrote:
> The HTML5 spec currently states the following advice [1]:
>

>     "Sections may contain headings of any rank
>     <http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/the-aside-element.html#rank>, but
>     authors are strongly encouraged to either use only |h1
>     <http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/the-aside-element.html#the-h1,-h2,-h3,-h4,-h5,-and-h6-elements>|
>     elements"
>

> Given that this advice is predicated on the implementation of the
> outline algorithm in browsers which  has not occured and by all
> anecdotal indications this is unlikely to happen soon if at all, I
> suggest that it is not appropriate to include this advice in the spec.

Actually, the outline algorithm is currently up on the "at risk" list.
So I don't think that we should be removing anything that relies on it
without having removed the actual source.

I therefore suggest that if we do remove the outlining algo at the end
of the spec, we should likely remove this advice as well. But not sooner.