RE: transcript="" proposal (ACTION-211 for ISSUE-194)

I agree - I'd also prefer that we take our time to come up with a proper solution to this problem rather than rushing it - especially if the problem we're trying to solve is larger now ("we can't ignore interactive transcripts ").

CP http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ISSUE-194/NoChange seems most appropriate for the HTML5 timeframe.

-----Original Message-----
From: Silvia Pfeiffer [mailto:silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2012 6:18 PM
To: Edward O'Connor
Cc: public-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: transcript="" proposal (ACTION-211 for ISSUE-194)

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 2:13 AM, Edward O'Connor <eoconnor@apple.com> wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> You wrote:
>
>> Does this mean you are withdrawing your support for the ISSUE-194
>> proposal at http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ISSUE-194/NoChange ?
>
> It does not. I still don't think we should be trying to do this in the
> HTML5 timeframe. But, if we *do* decide to address this problem now, I
> much prefer the mechanism described in my ISSUE-194-2B proposal over
> the TranscriptElement proposal.
>
> I hope this clears things up!

I would actually agree with Ted - I'd prefer we take our time to come up with a proper solution to the transcript problem rather than rushing it. Further implementation experience would definitely help.

We've also seen feedback on the <transcript> element proposal still coming in and there are further discussions and changes necessary. I particularly want to look at the possibility of adding the transcript list to the Media Controller (through @mediagroup) rather than a @transcript attribute.

Further, neither Ted's nor the new proposal specifies what to do with a list of transcripts rendered in the video controls - what happens when a user clicks on it: does the browser just scroll to the page offset that the @transcript points to? Does it follow any links if there are links? Ted: do you have any thoughts on that?

Where I disagree with Ted and Eric is that I think we need to solve all transcript issues in one go: we can't ignore interactive transcripts which are really important for blind users' interaction with video.

HTH.

Regards,
Silvia.