Re: ISSUE-198: innerHTML-patent-policy - Chairs Solicit Proposals

On Feb 24, 2012, at 4:22 PM, Tony Ross wrote:

> Apologies for missing the date here (been quite busy), though my interest in this topic hasn't changed.
>
> As I suggested when raising the issue, I'd like to see HTML5 reference a DOM Parsing and Serialization specification in the W3C. This would restore the application of the W3C patent policy to innerHTML and related APIs. I've posted a basic change proposal to this effect: http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/Reference_a_W3C_version_of_DOM_Parsing_and_Serialization

One thing to note: publishing a new HTML WG draft can be done even without a Change Proposal. However, Change Proposal or not, it requires a willing editor. If someone is willing to edit this draft in W3C space, we'll make sure they get CVS access and an opportunity to bring it forward for FPWD. On the other hand, if there is no willing editor, then a Change Proposal requiring creation of a new W3C draft is not likely to succeed, because we cannot force someone to be a W3C editor. It may thus help your case to first arrange for the draft to be published by the HTML WG via finding a volunteer editor who sets up an Editor's Draft. At that point I'd expect a change of references to be totally uncontroversial.

Regards,
Maciej