Re: Encrypted Media proposal (was RE: ISSUE-179: av_param - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals)

In my capacity as representative for Cox Communications, I wish to convey
that Cox supports the W3C defining a reasonable solution to enable the
playback of DRM and/or Copy Protected media via HTML5. Although it is not
clear where (i.e., in which WG) such work should be accomplished, Cox
believes there are legitimate business requirements to support such
content, as well as content for which *no* DRM/CP applies.

Furthermore, Cox believes that the definition and use of DRM/CP mechanisms
have no relationship to the issue of ensuring that authorized content is
made available to impaired users. The purpose of DRM/CP is to provide a
mechanism to ensure that access to content is authorized, and not whether
or not it is "accessible" in the sense of supporting impaired users. The
W3C should remain neutral on whether DRM/CP is actually used by a content
author or not, in the same manner that the W3C remains neutral on whether
Web content is accessed by HTTP or HTTPS.

As such, Cox supports the goals of the proposal brought forward by Google,
Microsoft, and Netflix, and wishes to see this work progress in an
appropriate manner in the W3C.

Regards,
Glenn