Re: Split Issue 30? (was: Chair review of "Keep Longdesc Deprecated" Change Proposal)

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 9:11 PM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:

> I agree we have two somewhat independent issues:
>
> 1. Should ARIA attributes be allowed to point to @hidden elements.
> 2. Should @longdesc be marked as obsolete.
>
> However it seems like issue 2 depends on issue 1. I.e. the case for
> marking longdesc as obsolete is stronger if ARIA is allowed to point
> to hidden elements.

Just last week Jonas said the exact opposite that : changing
hidden was "almost completely orthogonal to the longdesc debate" [1].

> Would it be possible to ensure that we decide on 1 before we poll on
> 2?

That would be unfair. People have had seven years to work with the
ARIA folks to improve ARIA. Any new issue would be HTML WG number two
hundred and something. (Right now there are 203 issues.[2])

longdesc is issue number THIRTY. It is the lowest number open issue
[3]. The Chairs promised to expedite it nine months ago. If any issue
is split off, longdesc deserves be decided first.

Best Regards,
Laura
--
Laura L. Carlson