Re: img@relaxed CP [was: CfC: Close ISSUE-206: meta-generator by Amicable Resolution]

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 9:36 AM, Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com> wrote:
> the default beahviour for most AT under most circumstances, when no
> alt is present is to not inform the user that the image is present.

I know! That's a behavior chosen by the AT and we shouldn't be trying
to override it. Some ATs have different default behavior (e.g,
VoiceOver). Most popular AT allow users to configure it.

> Likewise some graphical browser do not indicate such an image when
> images are disabled.

Even if we wanted to encourage them to do something else, that
wouldn't require a change to the existing accessibility hierarchy.

> I can agree that the generation of a text string may be problematic ,
> but do not agree that the presence of images "that are a key part of
> the content" but "whose contents are not known" ( to use HTML5
> terminology [1])  should not be indicated in some way via an agreed
> method that allows allows user agents to flag their presence and
> provide users with options.

They are indicated to the accessibility hierarchy and AT do give users
options, so this requirement (which I agree with) is already met. And
some AT already have default behavior that alerts users.

If we think the default behavior of JAWS should be different based on
the information already in the hierarchy, we should take that up with
Freedom not try and override their defaults by changing what goes into
the hierarchy.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis