Re: noted 3 issues re: time/data (was Re: minutes for HTML WG f2f, 2011-11-04, part 1)

2011/11/14 Marat Tanalin | tanalin.com <mtanalin@yandex.ru>:
> 14.11.2011, 12:23, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>:
>> On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 12:09 AM, Marat Tanalin | tanalin.com
>> <mtanalin@yandex.ru> wrote:
>
>>>  Let's consider an example:
>>>  <data itemprop="foo" value="bar">ipsum</data>
>>>
>>>  It's unclear why this is not sufficient instead:
>>
>> Please tell me what the value of the "foo" property is on the following element:

>> Is it the string "bar"?  Or is it the Microdata item started on the element?
>
> AFAIK, there is no 'itemvalue' html attribute in the current spec. Then what does it mean in your example?

I thought that was clear.  It was meant to be your "just use this as
the value" attribute, which you called "value" in your previous
example.

> If to consider syntax with 'itempropvalue' attribute (as I've mentioned earlier and in the bug 14679 comment 3):

> or CSS-like one I've proposed later:

> then 'bar' is obviously value of this span as property.

That doesn't seem obvious to me.

>> Microdata already has three places that a value can possible come from
>> - the textual content, the value of an attribute on certain elements,
>> and the Microdata item started on the element.  There's a somewhat
>> intuitive ordering to these, but it's still right on the border of
>> being too complex for its own good.
>
> Then, microdata part of the spec probably should be simplified. In particular (but not limited to), it may make sense to disallow specifying 'itemscope' and 'itemprop' for the same element simultaneously (if it's currently really allowed).

Do you understand what it means to have @itemprop and @itemscope on
the same element?

~TJ