Re: CP remove hgroup add an outlineMask attribute.

The CP mentions the possibility of 'misuse'. And an @outlinemask
attribute could in theory be added to heading without a directly
preceding heading element. Is that part of the proposal? Is that a use
or a misuse? What happens if done?

If yes, then a perfect CSS display value for <h1-h6> elements with the
@outlinemask  set, would often be the CSS 3 run-in display. For
instance, I have in front of me a text that looks something like this:

  <h1>1.5 Stress in Russian pronouns of the 3rd person</h1>

  <h2 outlinemask >In the nominative case</h2>

  <h2 outlinemask >In the oblique cases</h2~

<h1-h6> elements with the @outlinemask set would thus be able to
replace cases where the one currently uses <b> or <strong> in order to
highlight the first sentence of a sentence etc. Of course, it should
and would not replace every such use of <b> or <strong>, but there are
many cases where it would, could and - I think - should.

The weakest point of such a solution seems to be that it could create a
mess with regard to rank. E.g. considering the above example, what if
you add a <h3> element without the @outlinemask *after* the above
example? E.g. to the blind reader, he or she will create an 'outline'
in his head, and as a result perhaps think that the leve 3 header is a
'child' of the preceding <h2 outline> ?

This - btw - seems like a problem - in principle - with all the other
proposals as well, except the <hsub> proposal.

CSS run-in: http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-box/#run-in

Leif H Silli

Steve Faulkner, Mon, 7 Nov 2011 13:56:53 +0000: