W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html@w3.org > March 2011

Timing of ISSUE-152 (was Re: Agenda: HTML-A11Y Media Subteam on 30 March at 22:00Z for 90 Minutes)

From: Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 23:10:10 +0000
To: "HTML WG (public-html@w3.org)" <public-html@w3.org>, "Maciej Stachowiak (mjs@apple.com)" <mjs@apple.com>, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, "Sam Ruby (rubys@intertwingly.net)" <rubys@intertwingly.net>
CC: "public-html-a11y@w3.org" <public-html-a11y@w3.org>, Frank Olivier <Frank.Olivier@microsoft.com>
Message-ID: <104E6B5B6535E849970CDFBB1C5216EB3D28F321@TK5EX14MBXC138.redmond.corp.microsoft.com>
[sending to public-html for wider review]

This issue is an important one for the IE team and we'd like to see progress towards
including changes in the spec before Last Call based on the existing timetable. The
current discussion is helpful and I believe that we've all learned from the last
couple of weeks.

The issue status page [1] shows 6 other surveys in progress at the moment and I don't
think it's necessary for this issue to be forced to move forward at the same time.
I would like to suggest a little time for Change Proposals to be updated with the
recent new information before proceeding with the survey. This should be at least
one week.

Please can the chairs consider this proposal as a compromise between moving forward with
the existing survey and postponing the whole issue until after Last Call?



[1] http://dev.w3.org/html5/status/issue-status.html

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> Would the authors of the other Change Proposals support postponing this issue
> beyond Last Call, to give more time for discussion and refinement? 
> At this point, we can't extend the timeline for this issue further without
> deferring it. If the authors of all the proposals support deferral, then we
> can put it to the Working Group as a whole. Specifically, the following people
> have authored or co-authored a Change Proposal as far as I know: Frank Olivier,
> Sean Hayes, Ian Hickson, Silvia Pfeiffer, and Eric Carlson.
> Regards,
> Maciej
> On Mar 29, 2011, at 5:18 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
> > On Tue, 29 Mar 2011, Paul Cotton wrote:
> >> I just want to be very clear about the timing involved in this survey 
> >> delay.  We need any consolidation to occur BEFORE 6pm ET on Fri Apr 1 so 
> >> that the chairs can build and issue the survey later on Friday.
> >> 
> >> I would appreciate one of the TF members taking on an action item to 
> >> send an explicit email on Friday describing the change proposals that 
> >> the survey for ISSUE-152 should be based on.
> > 
> > For the record, I take issue with the way the drive to Last Call is 
> > forcing rushed decisions on complicated issues such as this one. I do not 
> > think the Web benefits from us forcing decisions to be made under pressure 
> > when there is no practical reason for any decision to be made in short 
> > order at all. This is a hugely complicated issue with many subtle aspects. 
> > The chairs are doing a serious disservice to the Web here.
Received on Wednesday, 30 March 2011 23:10:47 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Saturday, 9 October 2021 18:45:34 UTC