Re: feedback requested: Canvas change for improved hit testing that also facilitates accessibility

Oliver,

It is an attempt to simplify hit testing in canvas while at the same time
providing a vehicle to tell an assistive technology the bounds of the
corresponding UI object being drawn on canvas as represented in fallback
content. Currently there is no mapping. These bounds are needed by screen
magnifiers for zooming and screen readers for Braille support (earlier
post).

Now the canvas author has to manage all the hit testing. This is a canvas
deficiency that should have been in place to start - so grafting seems like
an inappropriate response. Consequently, I am also seeing canvas
applications that create the equivalent of visio by creating separate
canvas elements overlayed on top of another canvas to represent drawing
objects. This is very inefficient and will get worse unless something is
done.

Rich Schwerdtfeger
CTO Accessibility Software Group