Re: Change Proposal for ISSUE-147

On Thu, 17 Mar 2011, Philip Jägenstedt wrote:

> This CP assumes that the UA knows beforehand which playback rates it can
> support. Like many things in media, the only way of knowing for sure may
> be to try it, so how should a UA handle a situation like that?

It also seems like what playback rate is achievable might change in real
time, either based on changing stream characteristics, or based on
the CPU load varying. Also, some platforms have a limit to how many
simultaneous streams they can decode, in which case some streams would be
decoding at the actual rate (.playbackRate) and some would be decoding at
zero rate.

What might make sense is to do something like what Silvia proposed, but
instead of changing the existing API, just adding an API that returns
current playback metrics. That is, have playbackRate and
defaultPlaybackRate work as specced now, but add a .metrics object that
includes amongst other things an .actualPlaybackRate attribute that gives
the actual result. It would make a lot of sense to have this if we add to
it the other metrics that browsers are exposing in vendor extensions.