Re: Newly-created browsing contexts and about:blank

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 10:55 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
> On 3/4/11 1:46 PM, Adam Barth wrote:
>> To be clear, I'm mostly trying to rationalize existing behavior into a
>> somewhat sane mental model.
>
> Ah, ok.  Fair enough.
>
> For what it's worth, in Gecko about:blank documents can either get created
> via an actual url load (completely async like all other url loads, goes
> through the HTML parser, etc) or via explicit synchronous creation of an
> about:blank document (effectively via createDocument, some createElement
> calls, etc).
>
> The latter basically happens any time you ask for a .document from a window
> that doesn't have one yet.

In WebKit, these document always get created via the parser (which is
availably synchronously).  The empty initial document for frames is
created (eagerly) as part of the frame initialization sequence, which
is a somewhat magical, but brief, time.

Adam