Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-118 broken-link-types

On 01.03.2011 08:25, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> On Feb 28, 2011, at 3:29 PM, Julian Reschke wrote:
>
>> On 28.02.2011 23:14, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>>>
>>> Here is the decision. It has been drafted in HTML format to aid readability.
>>
>> I think it would be good to clarify which relations will be affected.
>>
>> It appears that the original CP<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Oct/0268.html>  was about:
>>
>> 	"top", "first", "start", "contents", "ToC" and "index"
>>
>> while the accepted CP<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Nov/0042.html>  mentions to drop:
>>
>> 	"index, up, first, last"
>>
>> I'm not opposed to drop things from HTML5, in particular when they have better definitions elsewhere.
>>
>> The question of validity will come up again anyway (ISSUE-27).
>>
>> However, it seems that the accepted proposal suggests not changing a few of the relations about what the ISSUE originally was opened; we may have to revisit them.
>
> The Change Proposal adopted is this:<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Nov/0042.html>. Its Details section says:

OK; the IANA link relations registry had pending (re-)registrations for
these ones; I have updated the entries <http://paramsr.us/tracker/>
accordingly, and will close the requests as "declined" once the spec
changes.

All of these were already in the registry, as per Atom/HTML4.01, see
<http://www.iana.org/assignments/link-relations/link-relations.xml>.

> This would include, by my understanding, removal of the Synonyms sections of those definitions, which include the synonyms "top", "contents", "toc", "begin", "start" and "end".

For these, we (== IANA link relations expert reviewers) did not have
registration requests.

Some of these however are already in the registry:

contents
Refers to a table of contents.
[http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224]

start
Refers to the first resource in a collection of resources.
[http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224]

BR, Julian