Re: hit testing and retained graphics

On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 09:02:29 +0200, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi> wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-06-29 at 14:23 +0000, Blessing, Kimberly wrote:
>> Consumer electronics manufacturers are buying in to HTML5 and my
>> understanding is that canvas could be used to render not just the
>> on-screen guides
>
> <canvas> seems like a terrible tool for that job compared to HTML text
> styled using CSS.

I agree.

> Why would CE manufacturers want to render on-screen guides using
> <canvas>?

Reasons I can think of straight away (from listening to the reasons that
such people have given for such decisions in the past) include:

Better control of look and feel
Better performance
Better integration with existing work patterns
The developer just wants to do it that way
More easily adaptable

Personally I find only one of these convincing. But I'm not the decision
maker, and I see others being convinced to do things that seem to me
completely and utterly wrong, like choose a heavyweight and complicated
technology, every day. My personal candidate for most common example is
getting a simple piece of text as a word document or PDF attached to an
email, which among other things highlights that different people have
different work styles and environments, which lead to different priorities
and therefore different technical decisions.

Why would you believe for a moment that nobody would make such a decision?

cheers