RE: hit testing and retained graphics

<snip>

> Finally, I want to end this little rant by reiterating that canvas is
> absolutely *not* used much in the wild.

I have heard similar comments from other developers and wanted to address the points Paul raised.

Canvas is targeted as the near-future development platform for set-top boxes -- which would impact a very large number of people. Consumer electronics manufacturers are buying in to HTML5 and my understanding is that canvas could be used to render not just the on-screen guides but even the video streams.

I'm not up-to-speed on the implications of canvas accessibility issues with set-top boxes, but I think we must err on the side of ensuring accessibility. Time has taught me that every technology will be used in ways we don't expect!

Best,
Kimberly