Re: rationale for inclusion of hgroup in html5?

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 17:11:54 +0100, James Graham <jgraham@opera.com> wrote:

> On 01/27/2011 04:15 PM, Jirka Kosek wrote:
>
>> - all<hx>  elements are considered
>> - if there are multiple<hx>  elements inside<header>  only first of them
>> is considered
>
> That was, in fact, the very first solution that we developed. However
> people seemed to find it confusing (iirc they didn't want <header> to
> have anything to do with the outline algorithm). <hgroup> was an attempt
> to fix that. It seems that the design is still considered suboptimal,
> hence ideas like <subhead> and so on.

One issue with the first <header> design was that people want to put <nav>
and <aside> in <header>, which was not allowed since they're sections and
it would be confusing if <header> would disable nested implicit sections
but allow nested explicit sections, or something like that.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software