Re: rationale for inclusion of hgroup in html5?

Leif Halvard Silli wrote:

> Does DocBook say that <subtitle/> does not belong in the Table of
> Content outline?

This is presentational behaviour which is not defined i the DocBook
standard. However usually subtitles are not shown in ToC.

>> it is usually transformed to HTML as:

>>     <h2 class="title">Foo</h2>
>>     <h3 class="subtitle">Bar</h3>
>>   ... content of section ...
>
> If there is something wrong with that transformation, then why isn't
> that subtitle header transformed to, for example, <p class="subtitle">
> rather than <h3 class="subtitle">?

I'm not sure what's your point here, but to me it seems completely
natural to turn <subtitle> into <hx> as it is still title/heading
although of secondary importance.

> I ask because Anne mentioned W3C TR's, like XML 1.0, which currently it
> creates this outline:

Well the situation of this document is at least funny as it is being
served as text/html, but containts code like

<h1><a/>xxx</h1>
<h2>yyy</h2>

which is interpreted as

<h1><a>xxx</a><h2>yyy</h2></h1>

Wonderful isn't it? ;-)
Time to put polyglot serializer into pipeline probably.

> Extensible Markup Language (XML) 1.0
>   W3C Recommendation ...
>   Abstract
>   Status
>   TOC
>     1. Appendices
>       1.1 Intro
>       1.2 Terminology
>     2. Documents
>
> I cannot say that it would have been a clear benefit if the "W3C
> Recommendation ..." was concatenated with the top level heading/hidden
> from outline.

Personally I think that it doesn't make sense to have "W3C
Recommendation", but as the document doesn't use structural elements
like article/section I think it is correct to show "W3C Recommendation"
as child of "Extensible Markup Language (XML) 1.0".

    Jirka