Re: CfC: close ISSUE-125 charset-vs-quotes by amicable resolution

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 13:08:04 +0100, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
wrote:
> On 24.01.2011 12:56, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> So if Ian changed the note -- as he indicates this actually has nothing
>> to do with HTTP so that would probably be the right thing to do here --
>> it would be okay with you?
>
> It would help; but I'd still object to mandate a behavior for no good
> reason when IE doesn't do it.

You think it makes more sense for everyone else to change their behavior?

>>> We can't change the HTTP syntax without breaking existing clients,
>>> such as IE but likely many others.
>>
>> Currently the syntax breaks many clients as well. Probably including IE.
>
> Which syntax?

The HTTP syntax. It cuts both ways. If clients are not compatible with IE,
the HTTP syntax is not compatible with them either. And as you indicated
yourself it is not clear that IE is fully conforming to it anyway. (Please
note that this and below are a side argument from the above. The above is
about <meta> which does not need to adhere to the HTTP syntax.)

>>> Furthermore, if people not testing in IE is a problem, then the right
>>> solution is to converge on the (correct) behavior of IE.
>>
>> That is not how many of our design choices have been made to date.
>
> That may be a problem in itself.

I think aligning with the majority of browsers when they do something
reasonably sensible has worked quite well for us so far. Implementations
are much more willing to change if they are the only one doing a certain
thing; the other way around not so much.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/