Re: Tech Discussions on the Multitrack Media (issue-152)

I think we should make normal things easy and complex things possible.

If we set the rule that <source>s are alternatives (exclusive or) and tracks are additional (inclusive or, including the primary source) then the content author can indicate what 'works' from the point of view of his program.

For example, if you are doing audio description of video:

a) and the timing does not need to change, and the description can be overlaid on top of the regular audio, offer audio description as an optional add-on track
b) and the timing does not need to change, but the audio description has, as part of its mix-down, the appropriate portions of the main audio, then make the video the primary source, and offer a <track> which has multiple sources, one or more of which are the plain audio, others are the audio description
c) and the timing needs to change; offer two or more sources, one or more of which have the normal audio and normal timing, and one or more of which have the audio description with the revised timing

while it is technically true that the user-agent may be able to make all sorts of ingenious displays, it's not a great system design to assume that the UA and the user will have the time or skills to make the choices over lots of ingenious possibilities.

On Feb 16, 2011, at 10:31 , Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 12:08 PM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 4:19 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer
>> <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I think I generally agree.
>>
>> Is there anything that prevents an implementation from displaying
>> multiple "alternative" streams at the same time? Even if they are
>> explicitly labelled and in spec called "alternative" I wouldn't think
>> there is. Compare to how there are currently alternative CSS
>> stylesheets. There is nothing preventing an implementation from
>> displaying multiple windows which have different alternative
>> stylesheets applied, as long as the DOM acts as though a specific one
>> is applied (you can only return one value for .offsetTop). This is a
>> model that works quite well IMHO since it doesn't require page authors
>> to keep more exotic UAs in mind, allowing UAs to freely experiment.
>
> I think it all burns down to what the user/UA select to activate. If
> there are multiple tracks that should really be alternative but are
> presented together, then it's up to the user to deactivate the one
> they don't want to see/hear. Even with <track> elements there is
> nothing prohibiting multiple tracks from being active at the same
> time. It's up to the UA to present these and up to the user to decide
> if that is the presentation they would like to see. So, I don't
> actually think we need to put an attribute on the media track for
> alternative/additional, since the UA will not actually use it as input
> IMHO.
>
> I used to think that alternative/additional was a big thing, too, and
> it made sense to tell the UA about it so it can act appropriately, but
> it becomes very complex very quickly: which group of tracks is
> alternative to which other (e.g. all the English tracks a+v+t plus
> original video against all the German tracks plus original video?) and
> the logic becomes almost impossible to represent, and even worse to
> interpret. So, I would think it's easiest if the browser just tries to
> display them and leaves the choice of managing the active tracks to
> the user.
>
> Silvia.

David Singer