Re: Tech Discussions on the Multitrack Media (issue-152)

Hi Silvia,

Great survey of the list of options.

<chair hat off>

Just to kick off discussion, let me give my offhand opinions. I personally like the following options:

(6) Synchronize separate media elements through attributes
(7) Overload <track> to link a/v element from other place on page

These seem to be the most flexible, because synchronized video can go anywhere, and it seems like these approaches could be useful for non-accessibility purposes too.

My least favorites are:

(1) No markup in HTML - leave to a manifest file

  - It seems much better to have the auxiliary resources exposed in the markup.

(4) Introduce a <par>-like element
(5) Nest media elements

  - These have all the implementation complexity of #6 and #7, but the requirement to nest elements or make them siblings in a <par> parent limits markup flexibility. It makes these options unsuitable for many synchronization use cases.

#2 and #3 seem reasonable, but not as flexible as 6 and 7.

I should also add that, for many mobile devices, it may not be practical to play back more than one media resource at a time. We shouldn't limit the markup based on this, but it might be useful for content authors to be able to discover this on the fly so they can consider alternative measures.

Regards,
Maciej