Re: updated change proposal for issue 129 ARIA in HTML5

I don't know how i can explain it better than i have already.

when i look at a heading with a subheading, i don't see a single heading i
see 2 distinct pieces of information that are related.

here is a real example (from
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/):

<hgroup>
<h1>HTML</h1>
<h2>Living Standard - Last Updated 2 February 2011</h2>
 </hgroup>

the h1 is the title of the document, the h2 is a subtitle.

becomes this
<h1>
</h1>

So when it gets reayed via an accessibility API there is no longer any
distinction between the title and subtitle. there is no longer any semantic
differentiation.

yet another point is that placement does not infer what is the heading vs
subheading in the hgroup, its rank, yet there is no way to infer that from
as the h ranks are collapsed.

<h1>
</h1>

is the same as

<h1>
</h1>

so the information available to visual users to say hey you can ignore me if
you like because i am visually less significant is not available to
assistive tech users.

regards
stevef

--