Re: Request to re-open issue 131

On 12/14/2011 05:02 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> I am personally not at all interested in implementing APIs that are
> there solely for building text editors in canvas. I simply don't think
> that people can build good accessible text editors in canvas. Sure, we
> can slap a few APIs on there to improve certain aspects of it, but I
> don't believe anyone has ever proposed an API which will allow a
> *good* text editor to be written.

I got the following from Rob Weir, and he gave me permission to repost
it here:

     One thing to consider:  editors are more than word processor style
     text editors.  Presentation editors are more likely to use Canvas,
     and that would bring a mix of integrated text and graphics, e.g.,
     text boxes.   It is not just text, but things like arrows and
     connectors, where there is semantic content implied by the
     placement of graphical objects.   IBM did a lot of work in this
     area with ODF 1.1.

- Sam Ruby