Re: ISSUE-4 - versioning/DOCTYPEs

From: Kornel <kornel@geekhood.net>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 14:51:11 +0100
Cc: public-html@w3.org
To: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
On 18 May 2010, at 01:34, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:

> Why does Mac OS X use use XML configuration files with Apple doctypes,
> if DOCTYPEs are useless?

Apple's documentation doesn't explain plist DOCTYPE anywhere. Both Property List Editor.app and plutil ignore DOCTYPE completely. Files without DOCTYPE are read, and plutil -lint will even accept plist XML file with invalid DOCTYPE (I've inserted XHTML DOCTYPE in plist) and report it's OK.

My conclusion is that DOCTYPEs useless in plists too.

Besides, in Snow Leopard Apple has migrated to binary plists (in my Library folder only 7 of 571 com.apple.* plists are XML).

--
regards, Kornel Lesinski