Re: ISSUE-4 - versioning/DOCTYPEs

From: Smylers <Smylers@stripey.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 13:31:31 +0100
To: public-html@w3.org
Henri Sivonen writes:

> I'm aware of three use cases for polyglot documents:
>
>  1) ... to use SVG and/or MathML inline where supported but allowing
>  the users of unextended IE still read the (X)HTML content of the
>  document.
>
>  2) ... pro-XML principle ...
>
>  3) ... an XML parser to process the content in a non-browser scenario
>
> Leif, are there additional use cases that I'm missing?

How about:

 4) Providing a snippet of HTML for others to paste into their websites.
 Making the snippet be polyglot ensures it will work on both HTML and
 XML sites, which is much simpler for all concerned; in particular it
 avoids the people you wish to embed your snippet needing to know
 anything about their sites.

However, such snippets are by definition not complete, standalone
documents. In particular, they would not have a <!doctype>. A mechanism
for telling editing software it's currently editing a snippet to be
embedded may well be useful, but it can't be signalled by <!doctype>.

Smylers
--
http://twitter.com/Smylers2