Re: Request to publish HTML5: Techniques for providing useful text alternatives as a first public working draft

From: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 9 May 2010 06:20:00 -0500
To: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Cc: HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>, Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>
On 6 May 2009 Steven Faulkner wrote [1]:

> I'm the editor for the following document
> HTML5: Techniques for providing useful text alternatives
> http://dev.w3.org/html5/alt-techniques/
> and am requesting that the HTML WG publish it as a FPWD, preferably
> along with the next round of heartbeat publications targeted for
> next month

I support Steve's request. Such material is very important for
educating authors. Steve's document is excellent. It has improved
significantly since its humble beginnings in our ACTION-54. Having it
under the HTML umbrella would demonstrate the HTMLWG's commitment to
and support of accessibility...particularly if the doc had a statement
that it was reviewed and endorsed by WAI.

On 20 May 2009 Sam Ruby wrote [2]:

>> collaborate on one or more of the  existing documents.  If any of
>> these gets to the point where there are  more than three independent
>> contributors actively participating in the  development of that
>> document, we can explore making such a document a  product of the
>> Working Group.

Joshue O Connor and I both collaborated and helped write the first
versions [3] [4]  of this document when it was ACTION-54 for ISSUE-31.

Collaboration has continued in Bugzilla [5].

If three people are needed to publish this as a First Public Working
Draft, I volunteer to continue to contribute and help.

Best Regards,
Laura

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010May/0105.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009May/0169.html